February always seems to be a busy month and the first half is shaping up that way. Things kick off on the 1st with the Sellars staging of di Lassus’ Lagrime di San Pietro at Koerner. On the 3rd Danika Lorèn is curating a concert at Heliconian for UoT Music. It’s called A Few Figs from Thistles, it’s at 7.30pm and it’s free. We are promised new songs by Danika based on poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay, Tekahionwake (E. Pauline Johnson) and Lorna Crozier.
- Antonio Vivaldi: Sposa son disprezzata, from Bajazet
- Vincenzo Bellini: Three songs (Per pieta, bell’idol moi; La Ricordanza; Ma rendi pur contento)
- Richard Strauss: Four songs (Allerseelen, Befreit, Morgen, Heimliche Aufforderung)
- Antonin Dvořák: Song to the Moon, from Rusalka
- Franz Liszt: Three songs (S’il est un charmant gazon; Enfant, si j’étais roi; Oh! Quand je dors)
- Samuel Barber: Selections from Hermit Songs (At Saint Patrick’s Purgatory, St. Ita’s Vision, The Crucifixion, The Monk and His Cat, The Desire for Hermitage)
- Umberto Giordano: La Mamma Morta, from Andrea Chénier
Quite a mix! I don’t think I’ve ever heard her sing in German and there is virtually no overlap with her Zoomerplex recital last year.