Here’s what’s coming up at Toronto Mendelssohn Choir/Singers next season.
There are a couple of shows for the TM Singers; the professional core of the TMC:
- September 22nd/23rd 2023 at trinity St. Paul’s there’s a multidisciplinary show featuring dance by Compagnie de la Citadelle. The works on offer are Handel’s Dixit Dominus and Bach’s Christ Lag in Todesbanden.
- March 16th 2024, also at Trinity St. Paul’s, it’s Schubert’s Winterreise in an arrangement for choir, baritone and piano featuring Brett Polegato and Philip Chiu. The programme also includes works by Fanny Hersel and CClara Schumann.
The big choir has gigs too:
- October 26th and 27th 2023 at Roy Thomson Hall it’s Orff’s Carmina Burana with the Geoff Sirett, Lesley Emma Bouza, Ryan McDonald, the Toronto Children’s Choir and orchestra.
- December 5th and 6th 2023 there’s a Festival of Carols at Yorkminster United.
- April 27th 2024 at the George Weston Recital Hall and on the 30th at Koerner Hall it’s Verdi’s Requiem with Teiya Kasahara, Rose Naggar-Trembay, Andrew Haji and Matthew Treviño.
All concerts are conducted by Jean Sebastian Vallée who seems to be injecting fresh life into a venerable institution. I’m particularly drawn to the TMS concerts. They are a fine group and the programming is innovative. But the soloist line ups for the TMC gigs are quite enticing too.
Photo credit: Taylor Long