The Royal Conservatory has announced its concert programme for 2018/19. It’s not massively exciting from a classical vocal point of view although there are a few goodies and the odd surprise in the package. The most exciting is saved for the very end of the season when Thomas Hampson and son-in-law Luca Pisaroni have a recital at Koerner. That’s on 30th April 2019. The most surprising is the season opening gala, also at Koerner, on 2nd October 2018 which features Kathleen Battle. I’ll be honest, I thought she retired years ago.
Other than that it’s Mazzoleni Songmasters and the Glenn Gould School Opera. The Mazzoleni series is as follows:
- 11th November 2018 – Joyce El Khoury and Beste Kalender
- 27th January 2019 – Lucia Cervoni and Michael Colvin
- 14th April 2019 – Monica Whicher with Judy Loman on harp
All of those should be worth a Sunday afternoon.
As for the GGS it’s pretty much “business as usual”.
- November 2nd and 3rd 2018 is the GGS fall opera. That one’s in Mazzoleni with Peter Tiefenbach at the piano.
- The GGS vocal showcase is at Mazzoleni on 2nd February 2019
- March 20th and 22nd 2019 is the spring opera; in Koerner with the RCM orchestra
The full lineup is here.