The 2018/19 free concert series in the RBA has been announced. It includes the 1000th concert in the series which is pretty amazing. There’s the usual mix of vocal, chamber/instrumental, jazz, world music and dance. Concerts that particularly caught my eye include:
- October 9th 2018: Ensemble Studio; Best of Rossini
- October 25th 2018: Simone McIntosh and Rachael Kerr with Messiaen’s Harawi; Songs of Love and Death. This may be the highlight of the whole season.
- December 11th 2018: Against the Grain Retro
- January 29th 2019: Michael Schade (tenor), Marie Bérard (violin) and Michael Shannon (piano); Homage to McCormack and Kreisler
- February 11th 2019: The Louis and Christina Quilico Prize Competition (this one is at 5.30pm)
- March 5th 2019: Ian Cusson (piano/composer ),Marion Newman and Marjorie Maltais (mezzo-sopranos); Le Récital des Anges: Songs of Ian Cusson
- May 14th 2019: Miriam Khalil (soprano) Topher Mokrzewski (piano);1001 Nights:Tales from the East
- May 22nd 2019: Canadian Art Song Project with Michael Colvin and Stephen Philcox.
There are plenty of concerts by the Ensemble Studio including the annual collaboration with L’Atelier Lyrique and farewell concerts from Samuel Chan, Stephane Mayer and Lauren Eberwein. Visiting artists include Oleg Tsibulko, Helene Schneidermann, Susan Bullock, Angel Blue and Andriana Chuchman. There’s loads more of course. Full line up here. All concerts at noon unless otherwise indicated.